BRIEF PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
Mr. Roman Otkupman is the founding attorney of Otkupman Law Firm,
A Law Corporation. He has been selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine (an honor awarded to only 2.5 percent of attorneys in California). He was further selected as one of top forty attorneys under the age of forty in United States by the National Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Otkupman is a member of Million Dollar Advocate Forum (an honor awarded to no more than one percent of attorneys in United States). Mr. Otkupman was also selected as a lifetime member of Best Attorneys of America, membership of which is limited to one hundred attorneys per state.
Mr. Otkupman commenced his legal career by securing an externship at Equal Employment Opportunity Commission where he was a Judicial Extern for the Supervisory Judge, Larry A. Abrams. There, he evaluated the merits of federal employment discrimination claims, including Title VII and Title II discrimination cases. He also recommended dispositions of cases, and researched and drafted bench decisions. Mr. Otkupman also reviewed motions, researched relevant case law, prepared summaries of legal arguments and assisted in preparation of court rulings. He further attended pre-trial conferences, settlement conferences, hearings and numerous hearings.
During law school, Mr. Otkupman also worked at the San Diego Employee Rights Center where he dealt with numerous issues pertaining to employment discrimination and provided legal advice to employees alleging wrongful termination.
Upon graduating law school, Mr. Otkupman worked for a Plaintiff’s Employment Firm where he gained experience litigating cases pertaining to Age Discrimination, Disability Discrimination, Gender Discrimination, Race Discrimination and Whistleblower claims, as well as drafting appeals.
Mr. Otkupman then joined a Beverly Hills Employment Defense firm where he defended cases alleging Age Discrimination, Disability Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Labor Code 132(a) claims, Whistleblowing, Gender Discrimination, Religion Discrimination, and other various employment-related cases.
In 2009, Mr. Otkupman opened his practice representing employees in their claims against employers throughout California. He has published three articles in the employment law field and has litigated hundreds of cases to settlement or verdict. Mr. Otkupman firm has been proudly representing employees that were suffering retaliation, discrimination and harassment. Mr. Otkupman’s most recent success was a 7-figure unanimous jury verdict in a whistleblower case.
Roman Otkupman has over a decade of experience of litigating in the following areas:
• Age Discrimination;
• Disability Discrimination;
• Race Discrimination;
• Pregnancy Related Work Claims;
• Bane Act Violations;
• Violence at Work Claims;
• Whistleblower Claims;
• Sexual Harassment;
• Sexual Battery;
• Overtime Compensation;
• Meals/Rest Break Violations;
• Timely Payment of Wages;
• Wages Upon Termination/Resignation;
1. Compensation Equality in the Workplace – (October 2010) Valley Lawyer Magazine – A Publication of San Fernando Valley Bar Association;
2. Applying the Cat’s Paw Liability to Discrimination Cases – (August 2011) Valley Lawyer Magazine – A Publication of San Fernando Valley Bar Association;
3. ADR in the Employment Arena – (June 2012) Valley Lawyer Magazine – A Publication of San Fernando Valley Bar Association;
• One Hundred Percent of Practice is Focused on Litigation.
• California, 2007
• U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2009
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Super Lawyers Rising Star – an honor awarded to no more than 2.5% of attorneys in California.
• Named to National Trial Lawyers Top 40 attorneys Under 40 years of age.
• Certified Member of Million Dollar Advocate Forum – recognized as one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in United States.
• Best Attorneys of America – Lifetime Member.
• California Employment Lawyer Association – Member.